Many resolutions for the New Year involve eating habits of people. One of the most common is to eat healthier and lose weight. This kind of resolution requires you to look at food differently. You have to take into account the nutritional value in addition to the good taste. It is possible to eat a healthy diet without sacrificing taste. Here are ten tips on how to do it:
1. Make sure you don’t skip breakfast – Don’t leave home without eating a healthy breakfast. People who eat breakfast regularly are not going to pile up on high calorie snacks later on during the day.
2. Don’t drink your calories – Watch the beverages that you drink during the day. You may be sipping very heavy calories. Cut down on the sugar-sweetened soft drinks. Green tea without sugar or lemon juice should be fine.
3. Cut back on packaged foods – The packaged products lack nutritional value and are too high in salt and preservatives. You can focus instead on whole foods.
4. Read the labels before you toss it into your cart – Don’t get carried away by phrases like `low fat’. Low fat is not healthy when it is replaced with sugar. Check the number of servings in a package.
5. Spend more time in the produce aisle – Fruits and vegetables are full of vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants that fight ailments associated with aging. They are also low on calories.
6. Frozen vegetables are not bad – They may be just as good for you as fresh ones. They are frozen during their peak of freshness.
7. Look out for non-meat forms of protein – Processed meat gives possibility of boosting cancer cells in the body, particularly breast cancer and colon cancer. Soya or wheat gluten substitutes may be palatable with a tasty sauce.
8. Make healthy snacks accessible – Pack your fridge with health snacks like yogurt, chopped vegetables and fruit. You can also make snack packs using nuts, seeds and low calorie cereal.
9. Change the way you buy groceries – Never shop when you are hungry. Drive your cart to where the healthier foods are kept. Stay away from cookies and packaged snacks.
10. Research before eating out – Restaurant food is deceptive in terms of sauces, added oil or butter. Plan your meal before you go out so that you don’t get carried away by tempting names of dishes.
It is always good to be conscious of healthy food and a slim waistline.