Your Pets could be a boon to your Health and Moods
Not many people are aware that their cats, dogs and even their goldfish can offer great health and therapeutic benefits to them. Your pets will ease your loneliness; they will reduce your anxiety and stress; they will encourage playfulness and exercise and offer unconditional affection and love. When you care for a pet, it will indirectly help you to live longer.
How can pets improve your health and moods?
Most pet owners are aware about the immediate happiness that comes with sharing of their lives with animal companions but they are unaware, at the same time, of the health and physical benefits that are related with the act of playing or snuggling up to a pet and the pleasure that they can derive from it. Recent studies have revealed the scientific benefits of the bond between humans and animals. Even the American Heart Association has reported that there is a reduced risk for heart ailments when it is linked with pets and their ownership.
What have the studies found about the human-animal bonds?
• Owners of pets are less likely to suffer from depression and loneliness than those people who are without pets.
• People who keep pets have less hypertension and lower blood pressure in stressful situations than those who do not have pets.
• When you play with your pets, it will elevate the levels of dopamine and serotonin that will help you to calm down and relax.
• Owners of pets have lower triglyceride levels as well as lower cholesterol levels than those who do not have pets.
• Patients who suffer with heart attacks are more likely to survive longer when they have pets at home than those people without pets.
• Owners of pets above the age of sixty five will be making thirty per cent fewer visits to their physicians than those who do not have pets.
One of the main reasons for the therapeutic benefits is that the pets help in fulfilling the elementary human need to touch. It has been reported that hardcore criminals in prison cells have shown long term changes in their behavioral patterns after interaction with pets. In fact, many of these criminals experienced mutual affection for the first time in their lives. Cuddling, holding, caressing and stroking an animal can immediately soothe and calm agitated people when they are stressed.
How can the pets help in making changes in your lifestyle?
Exercise is not just a visit to the gym; it could also be taking your dog out for a walk. Several studies have pointed out that dog owners are far more likely to get their daily exercise quota than those who do not have dogs as pets. An important role is played by pets in healthy aging of people. When pets encourage playfulness, exercise and laughter, it will help boost the immune system and increase the energy levels in people.