Thursday, June 29, 2017

Home Fire Risks and Prevention


A home fire is caused from everyday living despite people being careful. Many fires are caused by faulty electrical wiring and this could be beyond your control. Things like lamps and toasters could short out. Heating is another cause of residential fire deaths. Wood stoves also could be dangerous. Cooking can be one of the major causes of residential fires as a result of defective stoves or ovens. Sometimes, a home fire could be because of cooking pots that may be left unattended on stoves or the burner being left on accidentally. In the past few years, there have been 530, 000 structure fires that have been responsible for the death of almost three thousand people and over eleven billion dollars in property damage as per statistics given by the National Fire Prevention. Historically, older homes that were built about fifty or sixty years ago had aluminium wiring that gets very hot and increases the chances of a home fire. There are many sources of a home fire. The risk increases when there is a drop in outside temperature. To prevent a home fire and keep your family safe, you have to pay attention to these issues: • Heating Equipment – You have to make sure that the heating equipment is not faulty. You have to check the equipment like furnaces, fireplaces, wood stoves, and portable heaters. • Servicing of the Equipment – Service the furnace and boilers. The burning appliances get dirty from use. The combustion appliances have to be cleaned by professionals and serviced regularly to maintain safe use. • Cleaning of the Fireplace Chimneys – The chimneys get dirty from combustion deposits like creosote. This can fuel a chimney fire. The chimney has to be checked by a certified chimney sweep. Try to burn hardwood logs when using the fireplace. Soft woods like cedar or pine can clog your chimney. Burning of paper and branches and leaves can release embers that can ignite your roof. The fireplace has to be covered by a strong screen that will keep hot embers from spreading in your living room. • Prevent Problems in Portable Heaters – Before using a portable heater, read the instructions of the manufacturer clearly. Do not place the heater where it can be easily knocked over. Keep it away from clothing and paper. You have to let the heater cool down before you refuel. Do not mix substitute fuels like gas or kerosene as the heaters are made for single fuel and mixing can cause fire. Prevention of home fire has to be a priority for a home owner. Do not ever feel complacent that you are at no risk of experiencing a home fire. This feeling of comfort could be as dangerous as the fire itself. Americans have the highest death rate after the Russians. You have to be careful with things like clothes, files or anything flammable that are kept close to a heat source. You have to be careful to keep things away from light bulbs, particularly in closets. Keep things like gas or paint thinner in safe containers and away from heat sources. Install new photo electric sensors which are sensitive to even slow fires. These detectors will give a great degree of protection and prevention against a home fire. At least one fire extinguisher per floor of your home is a good recommendation for the prevention of a home fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment