Monday, May 3, 2010

Dickens' Carol


No one talks about this book. No one talks about this movie. I will talk about both of them. I had read this book in my school days. Then I let it go. It came back to me last year when I was revising my nephew's English literature lessons for his tenth exam.The lesson had such an impact on me that I waited for Zemeckis' film to release last Christmas so that I could see it in 3D. Alas! I missed it because the film ran only for about a fortnight at the Imax in Hyderabad and I could not catch it thinking that it would run for a long time.
I strongly recommend that every person who loves a classic must read this book of Charles Dickens at least once in his lifetime. I finally got a pirated DVD version of this film and saw it at home and I would go a step further to say that any person who loves a classic must see this film.
Dickens wrote this magnum opus in 1843. What a century this nineteenth was! A classic composition. Even after 167 years, we marvel at this book and learn lessons from it. What more can I say about Charles Dickens? Personally, Oliver Twist is my favourite. Followed by this.
The film is directed by Robert Zemeckis and Jim Carrey is superlative as Ebenezer Scrooge. There have been umpteen versions of this film and none comes even close to this version. Though this is animated but it is more lively than livelier! Hats off to Zemeckis and Jim Carrey. This 3D film was made through the process of 'performance capture', a technique Zemeckis has previously used in his films, 'Polar Express' and 'Beowulf'.
Worldwide, this film has done business of 318 million dollars and in Hyderabad it has not even played for 318 people at the Imax. What a shame! I guess the people in Hyderabad have no spirit of celebration and sharing! All I know is I will not miss this in its re-run on Imax 3D.

No comments:

Post a Comment